History of DGaaE

The DGaaE emerged 1976 from the fusion of the DEG (German Entomological Society) and DGaE (German Society of Applied Entomology). The forerunning society DEG was founded 1856 upon instigation of the beetle researcher Dr. Gustav Kraatz as the Berlin Entomological Society. Within this society, some entomologists with primary focus on beetles 1881 united under the name of Deutsche Entomologische Gesellschaft (DEG). The publication organ of the society became since 1857 the Berliner Entomologische Zeitschrift,  that still exists as Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift.

The DGaE was founded 1913 by the forest entomologist Prof. Dr. Karl Escherich.

After the World Wars, DEG became primarily an association of amateur entomologists whereas the DGaE united professionals. This separation became less and less clear as the years passed, because more and more entomologists were members of both societies. Thus, a fusion was discussed ever since 1956. Protracted negotiations were taken up 1969 and ended 1976 with the organization of the DGaaE.

 

Schumann, H. (1992): Zur Geschichte der Deutschen Entomologischen Gesellschaft. - DGaaE-Nachr. 6(3): 104-116
Godan, D. (1992): Erinnerungen an die Entstehung der „Deutschen Gesellschaft für allgemeine und angewandte Entomologie“- DGaaE-Nachr. 6(4): 129-135
Anonymous (1993): Ergänzungen und Berichtigungen zu D. Godan: Erinnerungen an die Entstehung der DGaaE. - DGaaE-Nachr. 7(3): 104-105

 

Presidents of the DGaaE

In office

Prof. Dr. Heinrich Johannes Schmutterer

1976-1980

Prof. Dr. Berndt Heydemann

1980-1986

Prof. Dr. Fred Klingauf

1986-1989

Prof. Dr. Werner Funke

1989-1993

Prof. Dr. Erich Dickler

1993-1999

Prof. Dr. Konrad Dettner

1999-2005

Prof. Dr. Gerald B. Moritz

2005-2011

Prof. Dr. Rainer Willmann

since 2011

 

 

Dr. Alfons Evers' library